Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Staycation

Along with the blessing of my husband's new job, comes the disappointment of no vacation time this holiday. This will be the first time in eight years that we won't take our post-Christmas trip to the mountains. And of coarse, this is just about the hottest winter EVER here in Florida. In effort to keep myself from getting in a slump with the change of plans, I am executing Plan B.

Plan B = Staycation.

Today, the kids and I went over to see M's new office, have lunch, and meet his co-workers. Later, we went with my mother to place flowers on my Grandfather's grave. He would have been 96 today, he passed away two years ago. You wouldn't believe the question and answer session between my 5 and 6 year olds and myself. As morbid as it sounds, it was an amazing learning opportunity for them. To brighten up the day, we opted for ice cream and laughs at Brewsters.

I have several things in mind to keep us busy and away from the house, while spending as little money as possible. As disappointing as it is to miss vacation, I feel super blessed to have been able to go for the past eight years. I keep reminding myself how fortunate we have been to travel and see things, and that really does take the sting away.

As for tomorrow, my children will be taking a trip with me to the tax collector's office to learn about renewing driver's licenses. I'm pretty sure I am going to owe them a trip to the park after that one.

No comments: