Tuesday, December 04, 2012

The Shopping Party

My outfit for church on Sunday!


Courtney and I at Nordstrom's Christmas party
A shopping party at Nordstrom....? Oh no, the ultimate in temptation right?

How could a girl on a shopping fast even consider it? 

For the past two years, my friend Courtney and I have made it a tradition. After waiting in a line wrapped around the building, we are greeted by a number of waiters with hors d'oeuvres and sweet treats. The store is beautifully decorated and a DJ is spinning away. We oooh and ahhh over the displays, and have fun playing dress up.

In the past, I have bought at least a few items for myself, and even stalked out gift ideas to email my hubs. But this year was different. I thought I would feel more of a pull to purchase, but I didn't. As fun as it was to be among the hustle and bustle, I didn't get the urge to indulge as I have in the past. I really enjoyed looking at the clothes, shoes, bags and other accessories. I made mental notes for working the items in my closet. I didn't leave depressed or deflated that I couldn't "shop till I dropped." I felt good, leaving with only two small bags in hand.

Instead of trying on a new dress or shoes,  I found equal satisfaction in refilling two necessities: my favorite lipgloss and eyeshadow. I do love how shopping restraint has made me appreciate the little things so much more. I even found a few gifts for the kids on clearance...score!

I have been delighted to see how far my money has gone this Christmas. This is the first year that we have actually set a budget. I was so scared that a slim Christmas would be such a let down for the kids and for myself. But, I am truly evaluating quality over quantity...and realizing it is time to stop the pattern of overindulging on Christmas. I am even selling my homemade soaps, Classy Sudz, with 100% of the proceeds going to clean water for the 12X12 Project!

It is fun to see gifts piled high and overflowing stockings, but this year the only thing I want to overflow is my heart. We already have so much. I loved this post by Jones Design Company, Four Gifts for Christmas. What a great way to size things down. So I realized, a spending freeze doesn't mean I have to give up the fun of holiday shopping parties, they just become window shopping/fashion inspiration parties for me, and I am just fine with that!

#1000 Gifts
52. Holiday parties
53. Window shopping
54. Closet inspiration
55. Long talks with friends
56. Music that makes you dance
57. Sweet treats
58. A friend that shares the same shoe size :)
59. Makeup
60. Christmas decor

No comments: